Global Tel Link, which supplies California lockups with pay phones, will install technology to disable cellphones, which have been used by inmates to run criminal enterprises, intimidate witnesses and organize attacks on guards.
A private company has agreed to pay millions to install technology in California prisons to block Web searches, text messages and phone calls by inmates using smuggled phones.
- Indefinite solitary confinement persists in California prisons
- U.S. Supreme Court orders massive inmate release to relieve California’s crowded prisons
- Coliseum official directed stadium work to firm he founded
- Californians would rather ease penalties than pay more for prisons
- Former California prisons leader joins fight against death penalty