The case involves former Deputy Gilbert Michel, who admitted smuggling a cellphone and other contraband into Men’s Central Jail for an inmate who promised him $ 20,000.
Federal prosecutors filed their first criminal charge in the ongoing investigation of deputy misconduct in the Los Angeles County jails, saying that an ex-guard has agreed to plead guilty to felony bribery and is cooperating with the FBI.
- Report details misconduct by L.A. County sheriff’s deputies
- Baca says he’s open to U.S. probe
- Ex-deputy says he, others used improper force on inmates, Baca says
- FBI paid deputy to smuggle cellphone in jail sting
- Anonymous testimony at issue in probe of L.A. County jail abuse